Synthetic parachute wing material?

Anything fly tying...
troutfisher

Synthetic parachute wing material?

Post by troutfisher »

I've had bad luck with synthetic parachute post (wing) material like Para Post and similar. The stuff frizzles and doesn't stay in the configuration of a nice neat upright may fly wing cluster. I imagine that condition is the result of summertime heat, and the flies bouncing around in compartment dry fly boxes. Does anyone have any experience with other synthetic yarn-like materials like Enrico Puglisi's for tying parachutes?

Presently using deer hair and turkey flat clusters but like the ease, speed and durability of tying with synthetics. Also, not happy with using slotted fly boxes for dry fly storage and don't want to change if that's a suggestion. :D

twistedtippet

Re: Synthetic parachute wing material?

Post by twistedtippet »

I've been using polypropylene floating yarn for a long time and find it floats well and holds it shape. Also very inexpensive.

Olive parachutes tied with poly yarn.

tt

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Enricos EP fibres work very well.

P_20200128_140035.jpg
P_20200128_140035.jpg (93.99 KiB) Viewed 548 times

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

twistedtippet wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:58 am
... I've been using polypropylene floating yarn for a long time and find it floats well and holds it shape. ...
+2 :D

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Thanks for the input guys, and your sample flies all look great! I have poly yarn and will try that until I can get to the store and buy some EP fibers which I'll also try. The stuff that's made specifically for parachutes looks great in the vise but eventually balloons out all over the place as you also might have experienced. I discarded two dozen Hendricksons I tied last year, most of which never left the storage fly box. They would probably still work but I won't even think of tying them onto the leader in that condition.

Bud

Post by Bud »

In my experience, just casting a fly with a smushed synthetic parachute post straightens the thing right out. Just sayin'. . . .

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Bud: I suspect you are using something other than Para Post or the other coarse synthetic post/wing material I was using. Once that stuff starts frizzling it looks like a ball of monofilament and nothing I've tried can bring it back to the original shape. Applying heat actually melted the fibers! I tried using CDC for parachute posts but the number of good feathers in each package was limited and even they didn't hold the may fly wing shape like I wanted. My hopes are that the poly yarn EP Fibers the others are using will do the trick and I'm banking on them. If they don't, I'll be very disappointed. :(

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert »

I've used CDC, zelon and poly, but recently I've been using EP Trigger Fibers and it ties in easily and holds up as well as anything I have used. It's soft enough that it doesn't twist a light tippet which is a pluc, too.
Hi Vis Spinner.jpg
Hi Vis Spinner.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Hi Vis Spinner 1.jpg
Hi Vis Spinner 1.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 387 times

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman »

I started using EP materials last year and this years experiment will be ONE box of flies (other than my nymph box) full of EP flies (emergers, duns, caddis, spinners). Easy to tie, they float, and are versatile as all get out. I suspect on a few outing that's all I'll take this year to see the results. Last year on the Willow i was getting skunked then an olive EP emerger worked, as did his "medium Unusual." Best part is I can take a travel tying kit in a small package with some fibers, very easy. I'm trying some parachute with EP TP fibers this weekend. Nice looking flies.

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

I have used spooled Antron yarn for a couple of decades and prefer it. It is finer than some similar materials and holds its shape well. Antron really improves visibility as well whether you choose dark or light wings. I generally use one of the gray shades but have also used flourescent orange and yellow for visibility after dusk.
Attachments
Hendrickson Quill Parachute.jpg
Hendrickson Quill Parachute.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 478 times
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog