Synthetic parachute wing material?

Anything fly tying...
catskilljohn

Re: Synthetic parachute wing material?

Post by catskilljohn »

I too like the polypropylene yarn. It does get a little frizzy after use but I don’t re-use flies after they landed a few anyway.
The new EP fibers are really catching on, I am going to do a run of Catskill parachutes to try in the spring, looking forward to seeing how they work. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Orvis used to make a poly wing material which was excellent. No more however. Will run out shortly!

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

I have no problem replacing a fly after it has taken a fish or two. My peeve is having to replace flies that never left the fly box compartments. I've gotten into hatch situations where I opened my fly boxes and couldn't find a decent-looking imitation to tie on. All that tying time and materials for nothing and I have to do everything all over again! That's why a parachute post that doesn't frizzle is what I'm looking for. :cry:

HookI

Post by HookI »

Natural & Unnatural materials sounds so unlike like most of you on the board , your confusing the heck out of me :roll:
If it has fins I want to catch it .

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

HookI wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 am
Natural & Unnatural materials sounds so unlike like most of you on the board , your confusing the heck out of me :roll:
you're confusing me a bit...natural or man made?

other man made materials such as hi-viz (enrico's fiber), polar fiber work. I like to use the nylon fibers found on nylon ropes...as long as the fibers are fine. but I still like calfs body hair

trout fisher...if you wanna have some fun go to a party supply store where there are loads of little stuffed animals, and things made from all sorts of fibers...

HookI

Post by HookI »

ted patlen wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:33 am
HookI wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 am
you're confusing me a bit...natural or man made?

other man made materials such as hi-viz (enrico's fiber), polar fiber work. I like to use the nylon fibers found on nylon ropes...as long as the fibers are fine. but I still like calfs body hair

trout fisher...if you wanna have some fun go to a party supply store where there are loads of little stuffed animals, and things made from all sorts of fibers...
alway assumed here that the Poo Poo of using anything BUT what God has created to be spun on a hook was out of the question , its ok by be . I have no rules what I toss in front of a trout's nose . FYI been using EP fibers for about 20 years good stuff. Thanks for the speedy reply
If it has fins I want to catch it .

Speycaster

Post by Speycaster »

Nylon does absorb water. The materials I've used with success and little frizzing are zelon, Widow's Web and, best of all, but now hard to find, Tiemco's Aero Dri, a poly yarn with hollow fibers, so low specific gravity.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

I've also curious about Fish Skull Faux Bucktail but haven't seen any in person. It looks to me like it would make a good parachute clump wing among other things, and it comes in all the right colors. Anyone have any experience with this stuff, and how does it compare to regular bucktail which I have tons of. I'm thinking it might not flare as much as bucktail or body hair when used in place of elk or deer hair for caddis wings. :?:

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Best parachute post material, natural or man-made is Polar Bear underfur. It’s not that difficult to get, and a little goes a long way. I’ve been using it for my rusty spinner wings for decades. Polar bear fur is hollow. And I can tell you this: there is absolutely nothing better for fish catching ability, plus it is VERY durable.

This is the easiest fur to find because everybody wants the long fibers to tie streamers, etc.

Just my humble opinion, for what it’s worth.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

OK . . . I'll be a heretic. After experimenting with just about everything mentioned above, I have pretty much settled on foam parachute posts for everything from size 20 on up. Two reasons: 1. they are a piece o'cake to tie with, and 2. they are the most visible of any of the materials. They light up like a beacon even at 40' distant. I bought the foam posts I'm still using at TroutHunter in Idaho several years ago, but I've also "manufactured" posts from sheets of foam when I wanted (for God knows what reason) a different color than white. As with all personal material decisions, YMMV.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich