Art Lee's High Wing Emerger?

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Caneghost

Re: Art Lee's High Wing Emerger?

Post by Caneghost »

I tie a CDC crippled dun that has turned the tide on some very, very difficult browns over the years. Light brown Antron yarn, three CDC puffs in green, dark dun & yellow, cream Antron Hare dubbing over yellow thread. There does seem to be an important trigger supplied by high wings doesn't there? This fly moves a lot in the water.
Attachments
Mark's CDC Crippled Drake.JPG
Mark's CDC Crippled Drake.JPG (71.84 KiB) Viewed 193 times
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

CJ and Caneghost...Nice flies!

I'll be giving that Lee Hartman Delaware Fox a try for sure. If you're subbing moose for the tail, then maybe I'll try some woodchuck guard hairs to give a light/dark mix (we fly tyers are inveterate tinkerers).

I also like that tri-colored cdc wing on Caneghost's crippled drake.

Thanks guys for posting those.

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Or, for simplicities sake, you could just use a Usual! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

squish67 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:13 pm
Or, for simplicities sake, you could just use a Usual! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
That's funny. You could probably cut and paste that comment and put it at the end of every thread in the entire dry fly category. :lol:

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

When Art Lee first popularized the Usual in the Catskills back in th 80's his article in fly fisherman included a high wing emerger Usual. In fact I have heard that Bill Philips ,who invented the Usual, designed it for fishing the Beaverkill Brown's. Float it down dead drift sink it and bring it back with a slow hand twist retrieve. It works.

Tom

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Bill Phillips actually did not invent the Usual, but was there when Fran Betters did, and took off with it. Bill walked into the Angler's Nook in the spring of 1976, and showed me a fly and asked me to quess what it was tied with. He gave me one, and then left after several days for the Beaverkill, telling me he'd let me know when he came back. I fished the fly a lot with great success, and finally tucked it away. When he came back I guessed Polar Bear, wrong! He told me snowshoe rabbit and gave me a foot. Also explained how Fran first tied it, and them he named it. "What are you fishing?", "the Usual!". Great story. Bill also wrote a self publish book, "The Trout, Stream and Rod", we sold many copies for $2.98. Still have my copy, unfortunately not signed. :(
Saw Bill several times on the Battenkill, and also the Beaverkill over the next several years. He was quite the character! The Usual is probably my most used dry fly patten over any given season. It has taken fish for me from the east to the west coast!During all hatches from the Hendricksons to the Trico's!

By the way, if you try to hook him up with the Catskills, he was Canadian!