What’s so nice about barred ginger hackle?

Anything fly tying...
redietz

Re: What’s so nice about barred ginger hackle?

Post by redietz »

Vance wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 am
Hello, Tying Catskill type flies I always make the wings longer then normal. My theory being that a trout will see the wing of a fly before it sees the body of the natural fly. Hey, this is my two cents worth. Do other fly tires have the same feeling as I do? Wing longer then normal., Bill the mailman
No. In fact, the only reason that I put wings on a fly (beside tradition) is to make it more visible to me. I've caught at least as many trout on wingless trout as I have on winged. The fish can see the impression of hackle on the water before above water part of the fly comes into the cone of vision.
Bob

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

redietz wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 am
... the only reason that I put wings on a fly (beside tradition) is to make it more visible to me. I've caught at least as many trout on wingless dries (sic) as I have on winged. The fish can see the impression of hackle on the water before above water part of the fly comes into the cone of vision.
I agree 150%, and if allowed I'd jumped that # up to 2 or 3 times as much, agreeing that is...

... from a Catskill flyfisher with old, and tied eyes... :cry:

Ed

corlay

Post by corlay »

I've had trouble with my "taller than normal wing" ties alighting on the water upright,
and instead tend to fall to the side. (they still catch fish, though....)

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

This is nicely marked dark barred ginger!

0513180945g.jpg
0513180945g.jpg (76.46 KiB) Viewed 238 times