Dave Brandt

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
narcodog

Dave Brandt

Post by narcodog »

Today I was on FB as usual and there were several posts about Dave, his condition, love of beer and his tying accomplishments. This idea popped into my head. Some of you know that I'm a member of the FFI and the Fly Tyers Group. One thing that FFI has an award ,Buszick, (sic) for someone who has educated, shared his knowledge of fly tying. So I approached Jerry the chairman of the FTG and he asked if I would find someone that could write up a nice piece and some photo's of Dave so he could place them in the Groups newsletter. So if someone could do that it would be great.

As far as the Buszick award I don't think he is eligible because as far as I know he's not a member of the FFI.

I contacted Peggy Brenner about the award so she may need some help if it's possible.

narcodog

Re: Dave Brandt

Post by narcodog »

102 views and no one wants to step up and write a few paragraphs about Dave, unbelievable.

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Wait a little time is needed . Patience!

Tom

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Haven't confirmed it, but heard from a reliable source Dave passed

MV

UPDATE: Straight from Bob Mead--- (via Dave's wife Barb)---Actually Dave passed at 11:54 last night
Follow me on Twitter

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Sad to hear. Dave was a special kind of person. I will miss him, as I am sure everyone on this site will. Going have to hoist a Newcastle Brown in his memory.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

squish67 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:21 pm
Sad to hear. Dave was a special kind of person. I will miss him, as I am sure everyone on this site will. Going have to hoist a Newcastle Brown in his memory.
Rich, me too...

I heard from several sources today his passing is such the case... Dave was a touchstone to our Catskill trout-fishing past, and as personable as one could be... he always had a story one would muse over... I first met Dave in the late 70s, early 80s... and that was my privilege, one which I will always fondly remember

R.I.P Mr. Brandt, a Catskill Legend for sure....

Ed

chase-da-dog

Post by chase-da-dog »

RIP Dave, I also will raise a brownie to him!

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

Dave was the person to emulate.

Dave was an openly friendly, low-keyed, self deprecating humorist, and was extremely knowledgable on all aspects of fly fishing.
He was a masterful technician at the vise, a historian and a warm friend.

Anyone who knew him was lucky.

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

I spent an afternoon fishing with Dave a few years back, we only got 1 or 2 between us but I will never forget his stories and Catskills lore. The kind of person who enriches those he meets.

A gentle soul, gone too soon.

RIP Dave.

rjj
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I was wearing a name tag, participating in the bamboo gathering at the museum, and to my surprise Dave recognized that I was scheduled to do the next tying presentation at the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild meeting. Dave said how much he was looking forward to seeing me tie the Dark Cahill, and he complimented me on having the correct original dressing listed in the Guild’s newsletter. I was very nervous about tying in front of so many distinguished tyers, and Dave’s words really put me at ease. It was the perfect support at the perfect time. A recognized expert like Dave expressing enthusiasm about seeing a person without reputation tie a simple fly says something about how much he cared for the craft, and especially how he cared about the people in it. Thank you Dave for being a kind soul.

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx