Fishing

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Vance

Fishing

Post by Vance »

Hello everyone, My wife has me on lock down, since I was operated on March 6th. and then this virus hit. So my fishing is reading all of everyones reports about fishing,tying flies and being outside and walking around looking at beautiful streams and rivers. So please let’s have some articles about your great days of fishing and other things you have done outside. I hope to get out after this virus is over with. Making plans for Sept. to spend a few days on the Beaverkill, etc. with some friends of mine. My wife and my friend John’s wife will drink wine while we will be out fishing. Will let you all to know when I will be up there and would love to meet all of you on the stream. Take care be careful wear a mask, Bill the mailman

Barleywine

Re: Fishing

Post by Barleywine »

Hi Bill. Here's a photo of my pet trout. I fished today in a forested stream with a steep drop. Too much rushing water for good fishing, but I did land a nice little brown. I released the fish in calm water out of the main current. After a couple of minutes passed I looked down and saw the fish resting between my boots. I guess it felt sheltered in that spot and saw no need to hurry off. About five minutes later, I got tired of standing still and the fish bolted for the depths. It'll be nice to try and catch my little buddy on a return trip.
Resting Trout.jpg
Resting Trout.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Hope that you bounce back ahead of schedule.

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi Bareleywine, I had the same thing happen to me years ago on the Beaverkill. By the way my uncle was chief of the police dept. in your town and his son became a police officer after my uncle died. There again it was years ago. Do you fish the Ramapo often? When I go to my daughter house I bring my fly rod an fish from Glen Gray Road walk up stream through the woods about one half mile then fish down to the bridge. About four years ago I started to fish from 6:30 pm. with no one else around and a Grayfox hatch started about 7:00 or so and I must have caught over 14 trout from just above the bridge down to the bridge. It was the first week in May. I had a ball which was really great no one else was around. The parking lot where the wood chips are was empty all by my self. Bill Vance

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I tend not to go to the Ramapo River, and haven't fished there for a number of years. I do remember how much relative solitude you could get at that Glen Gray stretch if you did a bit of walking upstream, but that river just gets too warm by late June to keep it viable for trout fishing. I usually fish small streams for wild fish in NJ, and get up to the Catskills every chance I get. Staying away from the Catskills has been difficult this season, but we're just going to have to wait this out for a while and give each region's medical resources a break.

–Chuck
Last edited by Barleywine on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Hi Bill... been there, done that... had surgery in late 2018, and scheduled to undergo the knife again in June, if all goes well... so I'm aware of trying to avoid the virus in these troubled times... thus I haven't traveled to fish distant places myself, since the start of April, mostly hanging around the Esopus Creek watershed... lots of folks fishing it, perhaps more than I've ever seen this early in the season... maybe because the water looks good, maybe cause folks are out of work and school... who knows... I've had some mixed results myself, but observed a few skill Euro-nymph guys do well...

Here's a 15 inch wild bow that I worked for last night, that sucked in a Hendrickson Comparadun... looking at it now, it possible had already spawned...

E-H-15 in Hendrickson CD bow.JPG
E-H-15 in Hendrickson CD bow.JPG (83.7 KiB) Viewed 358 times
... and, here's a 17 inch fat chrome side I caught a few days before... it didn't look like it spawn yet, and took off like a shot out of a gun when I released it...

E-dBL-17 in BL chrome-sided bow.JPG
E-dBL-17 in BL chrome-sided bow.JPG (97.86 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Be well, and I hope you get out there as anticipated, and planned...

Ed

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello Ed, Good luck on your up coming surgery. A lot of people say it’s only a minor operation, I say there is no such thing as a minor operation. If you are knocked out for your surgery then it is a big thing and not minor. Ed, you are so lucky to live near a trout stream, me I have to drive about one plus hours to get to the South Branch or the Musky in Jersey. They are two good looking fish. Again my prayers will be with you on your up coming. Bill

Vance

Post by Vance »

Ed, For got to write about my two hernia operations. If that is what you are having do not lie in your bed when you get home. This is for everyone that reads this. When you get home go to a lazy boy chair one that the feet goes up and down by a lever. It is so much better than lying on a sofa or bed. I slept on the chair for two days and could get up at any time to walk around with no strain on my abdomen muscles. It really works and I was feeling better in two days where I could finally get in and out of bed with no trouble. Bill