Split shot help?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
JoeCz

Split shot help?

Post by JoeCz »

What's the mystery? You squeeze them on the line and voila, right?

Bear with me.

Yesterday, I went out in the afternoon and evening to a fairly small creek. It took a while, but either the fish switched on or I figured out what they wanted, and I got a couple of rainbows (see pic for an example) on a particular nymph. I was fishing it in tandem with a heavier bead head, but both went for the Dette Yellow Stonefly. So after I tangled them up, instead of re-rigging them both, I figured, I'll just put on a couple of split shot--that should get me into the strike zone.
Small creek 10" rainbow on a stonefly nymph
Small creek 10" rainbow on a stonefly nymph
IMG_5665.jpg (314.69 KiB) Viewed 390 times
I couldn't get the shot to squeeze tight around the 4x tippet, so I tied a knot in it so they wouldn't slide down onto the nymph. All set. First cast, I hook up with what seems like a much larger fish than the others. I catch a glimpse of its side as it heads deep into the pool, shaking its head and putting a solid bend in my rod.

You can guess what happens next.

My line breaks, right where I had put the knot to hold the shot.

I knew I had weakened the 6-pound test material when I put in a knot in it, but I realized driving home, that I hadn't loosened the drag. I was kicking myself the whole way, and woke up this morning still thinking about what an idiot I was.

So my questions is--what's the "right" way to add split shot to a single-nymph system? Is there a better option than what I did, or should I simply have remembered to loosen the drag?

Thanks for any/all advice...

Algyros

Re: Split shot help?

Post by Algyros »

I've found that softer lead shot, such as Lemer and Blackbird, tends not to slip as much.

But, personally, I forego shot and use tungsten putty. If rolled on your leader very thin it stays in place and, perhaps more importantly, it is easy to adjust the weight by adding or removing a bit of the putty.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

Like theft weight as well. you can also "dub" it onto very fine tippets like 7-8x. very effective in heavily fished waters

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

I don't think I'm usually a buzz killer, but here I go: I don't think its a very good idea to be adding lead anywhere, particularly in places we like to fish and oh, maybe ducks like to eat. There are many alternatives.
Gary

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz »

gt05254 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:44 pm
I don't think I'm usually a buzz killer, but here I go: I don't think its a very good idea to be adding lead anywhere, particularly in places we like to fish and oh, maybe ducks like to eat. There are many alternatives.
Gary
I agree about not adding lead to the ecosystem. I believe New York has even outlawed the use of lead shot. The pinch-on weights I referred to as split shot in my original post were tin (Orvis). Sounds like a tungsten putty may be the way I go in the future.

Joe

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Well... for better or worse... I tie some of my early season, deep running nymphs with lead, wrapped underneath... then I usually wrap that with a neutral color floss, to which I apply head cement so it doesn't bleed through--- oxidize--- after being used a couple/few times...

As for split shot...

For more years than I can remember, decades, I've made my own leaders... thus my leader sections are knotted together... when I add split shot, which isn't often, I apply it such that it rides about the last knot, the terminal piece of material the fly is attached to... thus the shot never slides down to the fly, if anything, if I make too many false casts as in double hauling, the shot might ride UP the leader section to the next knot above...

I can't recall split shot ever causing me to break a fish off... it can get lodged on the creek bottom... and knots fail on me on more occasions than I'd like to admit... and I have seen my fair share of "curly-q's" where my fly was once attached to my leader, but then sadly resides in a fish's mouth... but those failures I attribute to poorly constructed knots, and "not" split shot... thus my strong preference is to construct leaders and tippets at home, before I reach water and sometimes get too excited about fish and bug activity, leading me to tie poor knots that fail, and when riding home I also wonder/lament over "the one that got away"... :shock: :oops: :cry:

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Eperous wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:05 am

As for split shot...

when I add split shot, which isn't often, I apply it such that it rides about the last knot, the terminal piece of material the fly is attached to... thus the shot never slides down to the fly.
Ed
This....perfect remedy 👍🏻 CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"