First post for a while

Bishthefish1

First post for a while

Post by Bishthefish1 »

Hi All,

Not posted in ages, but still been keeping an eye on the forum now and again.....

I though I Would give a quick synopsis of my latest trip out. It is Mayfly season here in the UK where Ephemera Danica and Vulgata hatch and the trout loose all sense of reality and this year we are experiencing a bumper hatch on my local stream. The hatch started about a week earlier than usual, normally comes on this week up in North Yorkshire. The main hatch usually runs for about three weeks with E. Danica hatching first then E Vulgata a bit later. These are the biggest upwings in the UK (adults reach 25mm / 1.0inch) and understandably trout and grayling really go after them!
E Danica
E Danica
IMG_20190802_191717.jpg (138.9 KiB) Viewed 234 times
E Vulgata
E Vulgata
IMG_20190602_093248353.jpg (169.74 KiB) Viewed 234 times
I had a bumper trip on Saturday, with 11 fish from 4" to 23" (my biggest wild brownie!) all fish took a mayfly cripple.
Mayfly Cripple
Mayfly Cripple
DSC_BOK_20200531195008598 (1).jpg (125.36 KiB) Viewed 234 times
The fishing was quite sporadic but once I located risers they would come quite thick and fast so I only managed to get one fish on 'film'.
Leven Brown Trout
Leven Brown Trout
IMG_20200530_132240.jpg (100.24 KiB) Viewed 234 times
Thanks for looking

Alistair
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston

Caneghost

Re: First post for a while

Post by Caneghost »

I trust your home water is a chalk stream, at least that is where I have read about the Danica mayflies. I previously hailed form the Cumberland Valley of Pennsylvania and the Letort, Falling Spring, and Big Spring, our most reknowned Eastern limestone spring creeks or chalk streams. I now haunt the Catskills in New York.

Lovely photos, isn't it great when they will pose like that. Still waiting here for our Green Drake, Ephemera guttulate, the counterpart of your Mayfly.
Attachments
Drake.jpg
Drake.jpg (118.34 KiB) Viewed 229 times
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 »

Hi Caneghost

Actually the Leven is rainfed, it rises up on the North Yorkshire Moors near the historic town of Whitby then drops through the west side of the Cleveland Escarpment onto the Cleveland Plain where it joins the much bigger River Tees.

We are lucky that we get two of the three UK species of Ephemera (Lineata is much rarer and does only occur on the southern chalkstreams). Although rain fed, the river runs through the arable Cleveland Plain and picks up a bit of nutrient from the alluvial soils resulting in good water weed (ranunculus) growth and really varied aquatic invertebrates. The river has a good stock of trout and grayling for most of its length, trout up to 3 lbs are caught most seasons and I have caught grayling to 2 lbs (and seen them at nearly 4 lbs). Lower down there's lots of coarse fish like chub, dace, roach and rudd.

Alistair
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston

nativebrownie

Post by nativebrownie »

Caneghost,
Was in So PA on 6/8 and saw a few of those beautiful Green Drakes... get ready...

andre

Post by andre »

Saw a bunch on upper east below Shinnople on Sunday night.

Andre