Wader recommendations?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
JoeCz

Wader recommendations?

Post by JoeCz »

I'm in the market for a new pair of breathable stockingfoot waders.

My current gear is the Orvis Clearwater ($200). They lasted two years, but now have small leaks in both legs. I'll try to patch them over the winter.

In general, will the pricier models last proportionately longer? I guess I'm OK with $100/year, but I'd be pissed if I dropped $400 on an expensive pair and holed them the first time out. And yes, bumping into some wild roses and blackberries is inevitable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ted patlen

Re: Wader recommendations?

Post by ted patlen »

I will not pay more than 100 for any pair of waders...No matter what brand I've worn I only get about one season out of them. even Simms guide weights.

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Over the years I have owned everybody's waders from Hodgman to James Scott to Simms to Cabelas to Orvis. Among others, I now have a pair of Redington's which I like. They are lightweight and seem to be a decent product for the price. I now buy all of my waders with zippers because it makes peeing so much easier! When you get older this is an important consideration! :D

Algyros

Post by Algyros »

Totally agree about zippers. It's nice to be able to drink a cup of coffee before I go fishing. My current favorites waders are Dryft. They're relatively inexpensive for zippered waders and, after fishing them for two seasons, they're still keeping me dry.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I have Simms G3 Guide waders, and LOVE THEM... typically I get three seasons out of one pair, which may not sound like a lot BUT... I trout fish EVERY MONTH of a calendar year and typically fish about 150 to 170 times a season, most trips 2 to 3 hours jaunts... do the math, it's probably costing me less than a dollar an outing... and, without saying, I have a very understanding wife.... :D ;)

PS... I used to be like Ted Patlen, purchasing an economic pair, hoping for a single season... I never found this to work for me... :cry:

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

Tough decision considering the costs keep going up. I have had Simms last several seasons but I am very dissatisfied with their guarantee and customer service. A good friend has had a lot of leakage with his, and hates that Simms would not stand behind them.

The best pair I ever had was the Redington zipper model when first introduced in 2014. I got five hard seasons use out of them with zero problems other than one puncture (big thorn or barbed wire) that I fixed permanently with two drops of Aquaseal. Most comfortable, driest to wear, easiest on and off, and condensation always dried quickly inside without ever needing to be turned inside out, simply great waders. The zipper finally began to seep in year six, though the rest of the wader was still in great shape. They gave me some substantial credit toward a new pair even though 6 years was way past their one year warranty. Those leaked within a couple months and an interior pocket I had not used yet started falling off. They replaced them no charge and I have fished all summer (retired and fish all week) and so far this fall with no problems.

Decades ago I was an Orvis dealer. Orvis waders always leaked within a season or two for anyone other than the casual fisherman. I have had Bass Pro Shops and LL Bean waist highs that were inexpensive. They (BP) lasted a couple of seasons, the beans three seasons.

I have a standard pair of Redingtons too that I used to keep for the "no didymo" waters, when I fished here and in PA limestoners. Several years old now (7?), but lightly worn and like new. Also very comfortable, easy on and off, quick drying, etc.

I would tend toward buying Redington's again, either the $500 zipper style (assuming my second replacements hold up and perform like the originals) or the $200 style. They have held up with the one exception, are by far drier and more comfortable, and their customer service is excellent.

One last observation: if you get used to zippers you won't want to go back to zipperless, at least not if your morning coffee reacts to cold water immersion like mine does!
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Caneghost wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:20 am
.. One last observation: if you get used to zippers you won't want to go back to zipperless, at least not if your morning coffee reacts to cold water immersion like mine does!
I have the same issue, especially in cold water, and cold weather of early spring, late fall, all winter... in cold ponds and lakes when I venture forth there... I never got into zipper waders, and probably never will... can't teach an old dog new tricks, so they say... and "they" seem to be correct... :roll:

... that said, I have a neoprene pair of Simms waders that are probably close to 30 years old, from when I steelhead fished the Great Lakes... love them for winter fishing... ;)

Ed

troutfisher

Post by troutfisher »

Mine is a prostate problem, common in aging males. All of a sudden--out of the clear blue sky and without any warning--you have to pee immediately and are having difficulty holding it in. It's hard taking your pecker out fast enough when you're in the middle of a river holding a rod and wading staff with all the gear on! Thank goodness for zippered waders, I'm sold on them. :D

HookI

Post by HookI »

LLBEAN Kennebec Stocking foot Waders with Super Seam
Like all waders & boots they can't lay in your car trunk or in the garage , Its a must to hang them to dry , its pretty simple its written on the label package 8-)
If it has fins I want to catch it .

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease »

This year I happened on a great deal on a pair of Frogg Togg Pilot II waders at Sierra Trading Post website. So far I really like the waders, my only complaint would be that the neoprene boot it very large. There is a lot of extra material that I have to squeeze in my boots.

Watch the Sierra Trading Post website, I grabbed mine for only $79! I figured at that price If I only get 1 year I would still be happy but so far they are holding up well.