TGF Catskill Classic - Sept 26-27th

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Joe Fox

TGF Catskill Classic - Sept 26-27th

Post by Joe Fox »

The TGF Catskill Classic will be here soon and I just wanted to remind everyone.
I will be a vendor there and have all kinds of material and a clearance fly sale.
They still have room for fly tyers, if anyone is would like to help let me know and I will get you in touch with the show runners.
Hope to see you there!

TGF CATSKILL CLASSIC: Fly Tying Show to Benefit River Conservation
Theodore Gordon Flyfishers will host the 2009 TGF Catskill Classic, the fly tying show and conservation symposium to be held in Roscoe, NY on September 26-27. The annual event showcases fly tyers from the United States and overseas to promote stream conservation through fly tying.

The public is invited to observe tyers who will present their work in varied disciplines of fly dressing from traditional Catskill patterns to original styles for saltwater lures, from timeless salmon fly recipes to innovative designs using modern materials.

TGF Catskill Classic offers seminars covering fly-tying and fly-fishing techniques as well as presentations by rod builders, artists, authors, and vendors. There will be introductions to fly tying and fly fishing for children and novices to the sport.

Local presenters include:

Mike Valla, Catskill fly tyer and author;
Anthony Giaquinto with Nymph Head Custom Tied Flies;
Mike Canazon, builder of cane fishing rods;
Ken Tutalo of Baxter House River Outfitters in Roscoe
National and international tyers include:

Enrico Puglisi, world-renowned saltwater fly tyer and innovator;
Roy Christie, UK fly tyer and creator of the upside-down reversed parachute style.
Programs detailing conservation issues of regional interest will feature:

Wes Gillingham, Program Director at Catskill Mountainkeeper, addressing gas drilling and the Marcellus Shale deposit;
Ben Murdock, Educator at the Catskill Center for Conservation and Development, speaking on aquatic and terrestrial invasive species;
David Barker, conservationist, discussing trees and riverbanks.
TGF Catskill Classic is hosted by Theodore Gordon Flyfishers, a not-for-profit volunteer organization that promotes river protection and trout populations through conservation, environmental oversight, activism, and education. Founded by fly-fishing and conservation giants such as Lee Wulff, Ernest Schwiebert and Ted Rogowski, TGF has a long history of supporting conservation in the Catskills. The organization launched a large-scale initiative in 2008, TGF Beaverkill Restoration, to restore trout-spawning access to Beaverkill river tributaries. Ongoing TGF activities include Project Access to open rivers to handicapped anglers and Stream Clean-ups.

TGF Catskill Classic runs Saturday, September 26 from 9 AM to 4 PM and Sunday, Sept. 27 from 9 AM to 12 PM at the Rockland House in Roscoe, NY. Admission to the show is free of charge, although donations will be accepted at the door. Proceeds benefit the TGF Conservation Fund. For the event schedule and program information, consult the Catskill Classic 2009 page at www.tgf.org.

catskilljohn

Re: TGF Catskill Classic - Sept 26-27th

Post by catskilljohn »

Joe Fox wrote:I will be a vendor there and have all kinds of material and a clearance fly sale.
Hey, maybe we can get some of that dubbing Joe makes that everyone is talking about ;) See you there man, CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

joe,

i'll be there for the two days...save me a tying seat, gotta drive up there saturday morning.
yo

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Just an FYI

I'll be there--I'm supposed to be signing books I guess--that's their plan. If you didn't get yours signed (if you have one, that is) bring it and I'll do it. I'll also have books on hand (I guess they wanted me to do that---unless YOU, Joe Fox, bring your books from the shop. Then, I won't have to order books myself, and and cart them down.

A signed book, and a signed fly, is donated for the dinner auction.

Not sure if I'm tying or not; I'm supposed to sit next to Ralph---by his reservations---so once that happens my mouth will be moving more than my fingers. I haven't decided if I'm going to bother tying.

-Mike
Follow me on Twitter

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Mike,

I will bring enough stuff for the both of us ;) You mentioned those old Metz capes, no? :lol: CJ

ps...you headed down to L.M. this weekend? I am leaving in...10 minutes.
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

catskilljohn wrote:
Hey, maybe we can get some of that dubbing Joe makes that everyone is talking about ;) See you there man, CJ
I made a small batch for the 4 people who e-mail about Conover dubbing, 1 last pack for you John but you never came over last weekend. I will make more when I can find a source for right red color I need to make more.

Joe

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

hey Joe.. please make sure you put my name for that dubbing too.. it make good ISC flies...

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

Dubbing is gone, last pack is going to John because he asked first. When I get more material I will let you know.

Joe

John C.

Post by John C. »

Joe,
I'll be tying there also. I'm coming up on Sat morning and will be bringing the fishing gear for after hours.
I'll get in touch with Ted Patlen this week to see if he wants to hit the stream after the event.
Also if you can put aside a copy of Mike's book I would appreciate it.

John Collins
Fishing is fishing, but Flyfishing is some you will be learning the rest of your life.
If you think you know it all, I'm sure your mistaken.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

yo,

yeah, ill fish, might as well, the river is there and calling me...

i need on of mike's books too. guy's on cape cod love it.

what time are we tying till?

yo