Hackle

Anything fly tying...
dazwah

Hackle

Post by dazwah »

What is your favorite color Hackle to use? Mine is a light furnace as I go for it the most

catskilljohn

Re: Hackle

Post by catskilljohn »

I think a medium dun. Its hard to say though, every one has its place and I love them all. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Pale watery dun or very pale dun grizzly. I like the hackle to be almost transparent on many of my ties.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Without any doubt, ginger or light brown.... not a very sexy answer but I use that color - and hen necks also - more than any other... follow that up with some great grizzly.... ;)

Ed

PS - I tried purchasing some black Metz saddles just this week from a source I use - for black woolly buggers - and told to forget about till maybe the end of March.... I asked if this has to do with the girly feather in hair thing and told "Yes"... :cry: Good thing I really don't need any right now... I mean really need, not need-want typical of fly fishers.. :o

And by the way, good hackle - including hen hackle - is sort of like fire wood in this neck of the woods... you can never have too much of it... it's money in the bank... :D

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

I got a dark barred dun from Charlie. I just love looking at it. It's so beautiful..

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

something with barring but my favorite has to be the cree "instant adams" that has grizzly/black and red

dennis

Post by dennis »

Dun ( Darbee) or Ginger is my favorite's to admire. To tye with it would have to be Grizzly and brown mix. That color matches a lot of bugs here in the Midwest.
Dennis

dazwah

Post by dazwah »

Interesting about some answers, I do love barred colors also but I don't have many to choose from. I guess all have their place, what about the color least Used, mine would have to be black.

hacklehead

Post by hacklehead »

Collin's Golden Grizzly

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

I love all my Whiting capes, but I am very sentimental about my ol' Hoffman Grizzly cape that is about 30 years old.