RIP "Bamboo Mike" Mike Longuil

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
BruceC

RIP "Bamboo Mike" Mike Longuil

Post by BruceC »

I'm sorry to report that Mike Longuil, known to many of us as "Bamboo Mike" has passed away after a 3 month fight to recover from a severe head injury. I've known Mike for many years as a board member of the former Ray Bergman TU, as well as many visits to his Pearl River home and shop. He was generous with his knowledge and taught me a great deal about bamboo rods. He will be missed.

Bruce C

http://newyork.newsday.com/obituaries/m ... -1.4085655

Eperous

Re: RIP "Bamboo Mike" Mike Longuil

Post by Eperous »

Bruce, I only met Mike a couple times at various events, but still this is sad news when one of our own passes...

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Thanks for the heads up Bruce. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

Very sad to hear this.

I did not know Mike had suffered such a grave injury.

Mike was a very good guy, well known and well respected throughout the bamboo community.

I got to know him when I first got into bamboo rods. I received a gift of three rods from an old friend, they had been his dad's -- one is an 8-1/2' F.E. Thomas 'Dirigo' wetfly model from around 1920, another is a wonderful old 8-1/2' Iver Johnson 'Sagamore' wetfly rod, the third is an old Monty.

I knew nothing about cane at the time, so I found out about Mike and went over to his house/basement shop across the Hudson for an appraisal.

He wound up restoring the Iver Johnson and F.E. Thomas rods -- replacing a couple cracked ferrules, rewrapping some ratty silk windings and putting on a varnish topcoat.

Mike patiently answered the countless questions I had, and I often checked in with him over the years, spending time in his basement shop watching him work on rods and listening to some of his stories.

I bought a few rods and reels from Mike over the years, including an 8' Heddon 'Black Beauty' that he had restored, a 7-1/2' Tonka Queen and a Heddon-made 7-1/2' Lyon-Coulson rod in deep caramel cane with 0-3/4 ferrules that will cast a dry fly through a screen door, as they say.

What I liked most about Mike was his plainspoken manner when it came to bamboo. He had a deep appreciation for blue-collar cane -- Heddons, Montys, H&I and similar makers. He enjoyed bringing those old sticks back to life and he sold them for honest prices that even I could afford.

If I recall correctly, Mike fished with a Leonard Model 50 with tips that didn't match the color of the mid and butt. He didn't care -- he could still cast tight, perfect candy-cane loops with it and lay out 70 feet of line with a couple false casts.

While Mike sold many no-frills cane rods, he also had an encyclopedic knowledge of high-end sticks. He did restoration work for Carmine Lisella. He showed me Paynes and Garrisons he was working on. If memory serves, he also worked on rods that are now displayed at the IGFA Museum in Florida -- including big saltwater cane sticks that Hemingway used for sail fishing in the Gulf.

Mike often set up his table at big flea markets. He had a spot at the CFFM Angler's Market and the Elk's Lodge mart during Somerset.

An incredibly solid guy who introduced countless anglers to cane rods.

He will be missed.

RIP Mike.

Here's the Iver Johnson rod he restored for me. The scents that come rising out of its tube make me want to drop everything and go fishing:

The F.E. Thomas:

The Lyon-Coulson 'Captain' :

And the 8' 3/2 1-3/4f Black Beauty:

-Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

mediumtaper

Post by mediumtaper »

farewell to a fellow traveler.

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

A beautiful remembrance Rob and many thanks to all that have shared a kind word.

Regards, Jerry

BruceC

Post by BruceC »

Thanks to all of you who responded to this post. I'll be printing out your kind words and dropping them off to Mike's wife, Charlotte in a few days.

Best,
Bruce C