Fast rods

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
redietz

Fast rods

Post by redietz »

Unless you recognize the quote (in which case don't answer) when do think the following was written:
There has been a decided tendency in recent years toward rods which are stiffer and faster in action that [sic] those of the past. To a great extent this is a good thing, as the rods of twenty or thirty years ago were apt to be too slow or soft. But as is frequently the case, a movement away from one tendency has swung too far in the opposite direction.... Too often the angler has become a sort of tournament caster on the stream, constantly trying for greater distance and experimenting with various rod and line combinations to achieve it. Almost invariably, when discussing rods and lines with an angler of this type, I am impressed with the fact that he is more concerned with casting than he is with fishing. Of course, casting in itself can be a lot of fun, but when it becomes more important than fishing -- the correct and successful presentation of the fly, the hooking of the fish, and the pleasure given the angler in use of rod -- the means have unfortunately become an end.
The quote is entirely within the context of trout fishing (there is of course the need for distance in, say, fishing for bonefish) and I heartily agree with it.

I'll give the answer in a day or two.
Bob

Eperous

Re: Fast rods

Post by Eperous »

I'll bite Bob, and take a WAG--- Wild Ass Guess :o --- at it... and I don't recognize the quote at all, but seems like something I might have read by Samuel Camp in Taking Trout with the Dry Fly??? So 1930 is my final answer...

And if that's wrong, could ole Teddy Gordon have written that back in the early 1900's??? :P

Ed

redietz

Post by redietz »

Eperous wrote:I'll bite Bob, and take a WAG--- Wild Ass Guess :o --- at it... and I don't recognize the quote at all, but seems like something I might have read by Samuel Camp in Taking Trout with the Dry Fly??? So 1930 is my final answer...

And if that's wrong, could ole Teddy Gordon have written that back in the early 1900's??? :P

Ed
No, 1930 is on the early side.

I deliberately didn't put this in either the Grass Rods or the Unnaturals forums to make it ambiguous about the technology involved, but thought the sentiment was entirely valid 5 years ago -- and it's much earlier than that.

I think things have changed a bit in the last 5, though -- It seems like you can now get slower rods again, designated as "nymph" rods -- "wet fly action" now has a new name.
Bob

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I will take a "WAG" at it too, and say Ray Bergman. 1950's? CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

redietz

Post by redietz »

Not Bergman. You're honing in on the date.
Bob

Allan

Post by Allan »

Just another SWAG based on your responsive comment about the date - One of the PA guys like Fox or Marinaro?

Allan

redietz

Post by redietz »

Allan wrote:Just another SWAG based on your responsive comment about the date - One of the PA guys like Fox or Marinaro?

Allan
No, although that would have been a good guess. I think Marinaro was of the same mind.
Bob

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

I have read this, and agree with the statement.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Interesting. It reminds me of something Al McClane said on the weekend we fished together on the Willowemoc in 1975. He'd brought some early graphite rods with him (Shakespeare and Garcia) and we'd cast them on the Debruce pond. Later we were heading out fishing, and he strung up his old Paul Young Perfectionist with a Hardy LRH. I asked where the graphite rods were, and he said. "Those were for casting. Now we're going fishing." I can imagine him writing the quote you posted.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

redietz

Post by redietz »

ewpeper wrote: I can imagine him writing the quote you posted.
I can too, but he didn't.
Bob