A couple from Deren

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
catskilljohn

A couple from Deren

Post by catskilljohn »

Two flies originated and tyed by Jim Deren, past owner of the Anglers Roost in NY City.

I use the Fifty Degrees often enough to endorse it as a great fly. It fills the need when a dark fly is on the water, and with its teal wings offers a slightly different look.

Tyed on a #12 Bergman yellow box hook,

wings, pin feather from teal flank, finely marked
tail, blue dun fibers
body, muskrat with a small amount of brown "mingled" in
hackle, blue dun

The next one is Deren's Fox, it looks like it would be a great sulphur imitation, although I have never fish it.

Tyed on a #14 Mustad 94840,

wings, pale yellow mallard flank
tail, light multi-color [cree] fibers
body, Lt Cahill cream fur from red fox, scored on top with brown lacquer
hackle, one cream and one light multi-color [cree] hackle

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Allan

Re: A couple from Deren

Post by Allan »

Hi CJ,

Those are 2 beautiful flies, whether they work or not!
Back around 1962 or 3, I went up to the Angler's Roost in the Chrysler Buiilding. It was such a small shop. Anyway, I was just looking around and then sought some advise from Mr. Deren. I didn't know how 'famous' or 'infamous' he was. I did know that I had previously met him at the NY Sportsman's Show and he had been tying at some demo area. He did give me some of his time and I remember him showing me a bamboo fly rod that was about 3 feet long. It had a tiny reel on it and I think he told me that he, or someone, had actually used the rod for trout fishing :o I remember that when I left there I walked down to the garment district and went to speak to a feather merchant on west 20something st. who showed me some necks. I have a specific recollection of him showing me a grizzly that he was proud of. The price, and remember this was the early 1960s, was $25. It was well beyond my means and even if I had the money I wouldn't have spent it on chicken feathers :lol: . Without going to the book, I believe Deren's flies are in the Family Circle Fly Tying Guide.

Allan

David S.

Post by David S. »

Than Fifty Degrees looks absolutely superb, you are a lucky man to have them in your collection..

/David S.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Nice looking dry flies CJ...

Ed

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

John,

Beautifully tied, as always.

I may have to tie up some "50 Degrees", sure looks like a killing fly.

Best,

Tim

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

David S. wrote:Than Fifty Degrees looks absolutely superb, you are a lucky man to have them in your collection..
/David S.
Dave, I miss-wrote that, these were not tyed by Jim Deren, although thats the way it's worded. Sorry for the confusion, CJ

David S.

Post by David S. »

catskilljohn wrote:
David S. wrote:Than Fifty Degrees looks absolutely superb, you are a lucky man to have them in your collection..
/David S.
Dave, I miss-wrote that, these were not tyed by Jim Deren, although thats the way it's worded. Sorry for the confusion, CJ
I see.. I guess, you are an even luckier man then as you could make it yourself :) /David S.

Squaretail

Post by Squaretail »

Those are some of the best dries I have ever seen tied, CJ. No kidding and all ass-kissing aside. Great Job!
I actually tie and occasionally use the Deren's Fox in a large #8 for the Hex hatch in Maine, it's a good imitation although not the pattern's original intent. And I keep meaning to tie and try the Fifty Degrees for Callibaetis hatches. I definately am inspired to tie it now after seeing yours.
"A man may go fishing his entire life without realizing it is not necessarily the fish that he is after" - Thoreau

Squaretail

Post by Squaretail »

By the way, what kind of brown dubbing did you mix in on the Fifty Degrees with the muskrat?
"A man may go fishing his entire life without realizing it is not necessarily the fish that he is after" - Thoreau

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Squaretail wrote:By the way, what kind of brown dubbing did you mix in on the Fifty Degrees with the muskrat?
I used wool, but not much. I thought about the statement "brown mingled in", and guessed it just called for a touch of brown. You want a sample? CJ