Esopus Creek

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
BobM

Esopus Creek

Post by BobM »

Hello

My name is Bob Mallard.. I own Kennebec River Outfitters in Madison, Maine.. I am under contract to write/edit 50 Best Places to Fly Fish the Northeast.. This is part of a unique where-to series that uses local experts to write about their home waters.. It is a full-color book with .pdf downloadable chapters.. I am looking for someone to cover Esopus Creek.. Any ideas?

Please email me at rovert.l.mallard@dishmail.net if you can help..

Thanks

Bob

catskilljohn

Re: Esopus Creek

Post by catskilljohn »

Welcome to the forum Bob!

About your quest...hmmmm, sometimes guys get a little defensive when their water is bumped up to the top of the public's viewing list. I realize these streams are public, and being so are subject to people writing about them but to be quite honest, and with respect, if I was an "expert" on the Esopus, or any Catskill river for that matter I would not be in such a hurry to brag about how great my stream is. I think I speak for most when I say solitude is something we enjoy most while fishing, and drawing maps to the streams we love does not make for fishing in solitude.

Good luck on your search, and again, no disrespect intended. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Bob---

There's a rule here on SGM forum we've tried to abide by. Sorry to say that. But it's a rule. Posters are not supposed to start threads about such private endeavors. If we don't control it---we'll be getting all kinds of solicitations concerning private [commercial] endeavors--direct commercial interests will to start pop up here. (I've slipped on this rule a few times myself...)

-Let me throw a suggestion

Bob...you might want to contact Ed by private message ( "Epeorus" here on this forum). He might be willing and able to provide you with enough of what you need. Ed proved extremely useful and gracious in helping me to "fill in the holes" concerning the "contemporary Esopus," during the time I was crafting a feature mag. article concerning the stream.

There's an entire little booklet--Esopus Creek Stream Guide-- that was printed about the stream (which Ed greatly contributed to), complete with detailed maps (by section), some history, and the names and locations of all the many pools and runs---51 pools, 9 tribs etc. It's a complete "guide." The publication (I believe TU first compiled it) is out of print. But Ed might have one. I have one here.
Additional maps and details can be found in many Esopus features (see Fly Fisherman Magazine, --September 1989--Craig Castioni wrote a great story. Also Art Flick's piece on the Esopus in the the June 1979 issue of FF magazine---and my own feature on the Esopus will be out this March/April issue 2013--in EFF magazine).

Ed is "Dean of the Esopus"--few know that stream as well as "Our Ed" ---what a guy.

Ed fishing through "Big Bend pool," the pool favored by Arnold Gingrich downstream from 5-Arch. Ed is a "cast and move fast" kind of guy...

Solitude in Summer
Follow me on Twitter

BobM

Post by BobM »

sorry about the rule violation.... and sorry about drawing attention to the stream.. but it looks like I am not the only one doing it..... I will try Ed, thanks...