Pseudocloeons ??

gadabout

Pseudocloeons ??

Post by gadabout »

I made a short trip up to one of the Croton watershed streams over the weekend. Water temps in the mid 40's. I didn't expect to have good fishing, but sometimes I need to feel rocks under my feet as opposed to silt. In any case, I found pretty decent hatching of a size 16 or so two-tailed may fly. I initially took it to be a Quill Gordon and fished it that way, but later on I was able to identify it as a Pseudocloeon with the help of the Caucci/Nastasi identification book. I didn't think of trying a BWO as the body color only looked slightly olive to me, but that could have been due to my wearing sunglasses.

I admit to being fairly ignorant of this hatch. I did find one fish rising at the tail of a pool, but after a few attempts with a Quill Gordon, both wet and dry, I probably put him down. No other sign of life. If I had to do it all over again, I might have tried an Olive Quill wet in size #16. I will need to tie some up in case I'm up there again soon. I have a few in my box in size 12, but I want some 16's. I don't remember what I used for the body. Probably the stem from an olive-dyed hackle. I would like to try maybe some stripped peacock quill that I will try to color up with a marking pen. Any of you fish this fly? If so, what do you use for the body?

ewpeper

Re: Pseudocloeons ??

Post by ewpeper »

Interesting. I've seen Baetis at this time (also olive and two tails) and with those water temps, but they're closer to a "17" or 18. Seldom seen the fish key on them however. I can vividly recall a blanket hatch (15-20 per square foot) of them on the Willowemoc one April with water temps around 44. Not a fish in sight looking up, tho we were taking fish on deep nymphs.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Interesting yet AGAIN, Gadabout... :)

This time of year, here in the Catskills, on some streams/brooks I wander I encounter a #16 dun that I know as the Paraleptophlebia adoptive, per Ernest Schwiebert and his Matching the Hatch... it's also know as the Blue Quill and Iron Blue Dun... :o for dries, mostly I fish a #16 Adams, and even sometimes a #16 Mr. Rapidan, but that'd be just me... I'm not sure how many tails the dun has, but it may be two... :|

Schwiebert says that, "Anglers usually find these hatches rather perplexing..." sound familiar? :?

Ed

PS - I saw some Paralep's on two different Esopus Creek tribs, yesterday and today, but no rising trout as the snowmelt is going NUTS during these last two very warm spring days... 8-)

gadabout

Post by gadabout »

Eperous wrote:
on some streams/brooks I wander I encounter a #16 dun that I know as the Paraleptophlebia adoptive, per Ernest Schwiebert and his Matching the Hatch... it's also know as the Blue Quill and Iron Blue Dun...
Those have three tails Ed. That's probably what I would have assumed they were if not for the tails.

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

Pseudocloeon is an outdated genus and the various species were reclassified. It does not matter much but when talking bugs it can cause confusion. I still use the term at times as it has become a common name for tiny olives because the various species can be treated as a single species and anglers know what I am talking about. The bugs formally known as Pseudocloeon lacked a hind wing and are often very small. It could be it was a Paraleptophlebia adoptive that happened to loose a tail. They are usually mistaken for olives because their wing colors are almost the same and the bodies are dark and without good light often hard to tell apart from a olive. If it was a olive body then Baetis tricaudatus would be a option.

gadabout

Post by gadabout »

Yeah, I know these flies have been reclassified. Just when I learned how to spell it. :lol: I'm pretty certain about the two tails, since I examined a few of them. The distinguishing features were the two tails and lack of any hind wings. Most of the pseudocloeon types that I've been reading about seem to be desribed as pretty small flies. That's the one thing that doesn't quite match up. It's subjective of coarse and I didn't actually meaure them, but I certainly wouldn't describe them as "tiny".

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

How do these compare?

Image female Baetis dun (shows 2 tails)

and this one

Image male Baetis dun

Images borrowed from www.troutnut.com

Note miniscule hind wings. These are multibrood mayflies with the spring emergences being betwen 16 and 18, and the late emergences being 20 and smaller.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

gadabout

Post by gadabout »

The top one is most similar, and it was in fact a female that I was looking at. I checked with a magnifying glass and I could not find any evidence of hind wings, but I could have been mistaken about that too.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

gadabout wrote:The top one is most similar, and it was in fact a female that I was looking at. I checked with a magnifying glass and I could not find any evidence of hind wings, but I could have been mistaken about that too.
I suspect the color difference between the boy and the girl is more photographic than biological. My impression of them on the water is more like the top photo.

Eric

gadabout

Post by gadabout »

Thanks Eric. In all likelihood, it was a Baetis and I just didn't see the very small hind wings.