Pool names --- Esopus Creek

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Pool names --- Esopus Creek

Post by Eperous » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:54 am

I got to thinking about Ted Patlen’s posting in another thread regarding names of pools along Catskill Rivers and any potential connection to people. I know Ted was referring to famous anglers, but still I thought I’d mention a few places along the Esopus so named.

By way of brief background, I did a fair amount of research on Esopus Creek pools names back in the very early 1980’s when, as a member of a TU committee, we developed the Esopus Creek Stream Guide. I wrote several mini-chapters for the pamphlet and also did the research on pool names. I continued along this path in the early 1990’s when Jim Capossela put together one of his many fishing books, this one now out of print titled Trophy Trout Streams of the Northeast. My contribution was Chapter 13 on the Esopus Creek.
E-pool names.jpg
E-pool names.jpg (146.7 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Well to the point at hand below are some noted pools/locations along the Esopus bearing the names of various people associated with the area. Where I know a bit more about the individual(s) involved, other than just the pool name, I’ve provided it. But anyway, at one time, pools along the Esopus were known by the people who were somehow connected to that location. And yes, the Esopus has its fair share of pools/locations known by their proximity to physical structures and/or natural features like: Trestle Pool, Five Arches, Saw Mill Pool, Rock Cut, Bridge Pool, Twin Rocks, so on and so forth, but for now below are pool names associated with people.

Atkins Hole ---
Atkins Hole.JPG
Atkins Hole.JPG (218.79 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Hudler’s Flats --- Hudler is an old Shandaken family name. The local Mount Tremper cemetery also bears this name.
Hudler's Flats.jpg
Hudler's Flats.jpg (122.77 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Jennings Pool --- Named for Preston Jennings, noted fly tyer/fisher. Jennings wrote A Book of Trout Flies first published in 1935. He did research in the Esopus Creek for portions of this book and often fished this pool.
Jennings Pool.JPG
Jennings Pool.JPG (175 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Kinsey’s Pool --- The Kinsey farm dating back to the late 1700’s was located near this site.
Kinsey's Pool.jpg
Kinsey's Pool.jpg (140.37 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Mother’s Pool --- Named for noted local outdoorsman and guide Ray Smith’s mother, Agnes Moon Smith.
Mother's Pool, Esopus Creek, Phoenicia, NY.JPG
Mother's Pool, Esopus Creek, Phoenicia, NY.JPG (90.47 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Rawson Hole ---
Rawson Hole.jpg
Rawson Hole.jpg (308.97 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Elmer’s Bend --- Named after Elmer Loveless and his eatery, Elmer’s Dinner, once located at the outskirts of Phoenicia near a bend on the Esopus Creek.
Elmer's Bend from above.jpg
Elmer's Bend from above.jpg (147.88 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
Simpson’s Hole --- Simpson is another old Shandaken family name. At one time family members owned a tannery along the Esopus Creek and later developed the first New York State ski slope on Romer Mountain near the Woodland Valley Creek. (No photo :cry: )

Mueller’s Pool --- A family member of the C.F. Mueller Company, founded in 1867 and makers of pasta, owned a Catskill “getaway” along the Esopus Creek at this pool bearing his name.
Mueller's Pool.jpg
Mueller's Pool.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
There are a few more such places, but these might be the best known.

Ed

ted patlen

Re: Pool names --- Esopus Creek

Post by ted patlen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:25 am

yes, yes and yes....

perfect...so that is two river....and the photos with the info is priceless..........it would have taken 4 months to get that info together like that a few years ago...
thanks ed

Bud

Post by Bud » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:59 am

It's so much easier in the West. When an angler's map of the Little Truckee River was going to be published, Ralph Cutter just sat down at his kitchen table with the map and a six of beer and named the pools and runs--like Adam. Hence "The Bat Cave," and "Richard's Pool," named after the publisher of California Fly Fisher.

History can be a burden. ;)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:39 am

Those are wonderful photos, Ed.

And a great history lesson.

The Esopus has such a rich and deep history, and despite all the depradations (sp?) from man and nature, it still sings trout! to anyone with a lick of sense to listen.

I have my own map of sections of the Neversink with pool names penciled in the margins. Phil Chase sat down and gave me some of the historical names.

I'm too much of a selfish curmudgeon to post photos of them on the Internet, though. All this information came at too great a cost in gas, sweat and busted knees.

Well, OK, here's one. Not easily accessible. It takes its name from a date some pioneering soul chiseled into a huge boulder nearly two centuries ago, when big wild cats still haunted the Catskills and the mountain ramparts remained a largely unmapped, inhospitable wilderness, repelling invaders. And the only trout in the rushing streams and rivers were the little salmon of the fountains.

Can you make out the numbers?

Thick rhododendron still stands guard on its banks. Good luck breaking trail through this stuff.

I paid my dues in banged-up shins and a few good soakings bushwhacking to this spot. In return, on rare occasion, it has blessed me with a few good fish. And more importantly, plenty of solitude and that somewhat frightening feeling of getting away from the madding crowd if only for a few precious hours.

Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

dennis

Post by dennis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Stunning pictures, Ed ! On behalf of all Ohio Buckeyes who haven't been getting out much, "Thanks"... I needed that.

Dennis

redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks, Ed. One day, I'm going to get to actually fish the Esopus.
Bob

quashnet

Post by quashnet » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Through these wonderful photos it feels as though we are - if only vicariously - fishing the Esopus.
Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Nice photos, looks like a great place to be :)

bobpetti

Post by bobpetti » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Ed - are any of those booklets "Esopus Creek Stream Guide" kicking around anymore?

gadabout

Post by gadabout » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 pm

I still have my Esopus Creek stream guide, but the Jim Caposella book I was totally unaware of. Hmmm, have to start looking.