One more...before spring

Any and everything bamboo...
catskilljohn

One more...before spring

Post by catskilljohn »

I may have 1 more done before the opener...something with some guts to turn over all these Neversink Skaters and Variants, maybe a 6wt? Just prepped some semi-rough strips so far, more to come later...

Image CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

the wolf88

Re: One more...before spring

Post by the wolf88 »

nice.. what kind of taper?

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Interesting... and what is the taper?

And, can you comment on this... I know of a few builders who sell cane rods - Lee Orr in VA and Art Weiler in PA - who can turn a rod out in a month, or so, your schedule - I guess. But then, I recall the Winston Boo Boys saying it takes months - not days - finish a rod, the varnishing part. What's your secret to the last few steps? :?:

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I never understood the month long cure time for varnish. The can reads "allow 24 hours after final coat before useage" and thats from the guys who make the stuff. The people down at the marine garage dont have boats sitting around for a month after refinishing.

I sometimes think the "month long cure" story buys time so there is no rush on completing the rod. I bet if you told a maker, any maker, that you will pay 10X his normal fee for a rod, but you have to have it in a week, he will be standing at your door in 4 days holding his hand out :lol: . And the varnish will be dry, I promise!

Anyway, this is a slightly modified Dickerson, 8' 3pc, should cast a #6 line. Blank is, cut, ferruled and the cork rings are drying in the clamp on the butt section right now. I will be turning that tommorrow. Should be good and ready for April, long as the varnish is dry ;) CJ

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I'll be down in 2 weeks It will, be ready ;)
I like about 1 week after final varnish to cure, that's plenty in my book :lol:

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

CJ - Thanks... I wasn't trying to be a Wise A$@ with my question about timing... A while ago I broke a tip to a rod - :oops: - but fortunately, that builder put together another for me in short order over the winter... he just told me when I got the rod back, leave the tube open for a while to let the varnish fully dry out... ;)

I also once had a discussion with a different builder about tight ferrules and was basically told building rods was a business, and not an art form, so every now and again a rod escapes that perhaps didn't quite "season/dry" properly before the ferrules were put in place... so the cane might expand a bit causing tight ferrules when used... No one I mentioned, nor will... just I guess an honest answer to a problem I was experiencing...

Both instances, short durations...

Ronbo - nice Klinkhamer Specials in your Avatar...

Ed

BTW - Among my little arsenal of bamboo, I have a Pickard Dickerson taper... it's a short - 7 1/2' 5 weight... that rod will do anything I ask of it... got to love those Dickerson tapers, hard to find a bad one... :D

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Curious, a modified (3 piece) dickerson taper 6wt.What might this be 8014?

Tom

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Tom, you are something!

Its an 801611, was a 3pc originally. The taper I got claims its a 7wt, but I reduced the numbers slightly. You can give me your opinion at the School, really looking forward to that!
Its just around the corner...casting with my friends, hendricksons, SPRING!!!!

CJ

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Can't wait. Every march 1st I spend looking for a robin. There was 1 standing on the wall by the back door today at 6:30 AM when I went out.

Surely a sign of good luck too come. We'll be casting them soon buddy.

Tom :)

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

catskilljohn wrote:Tom, you are something!

Its an 801611, was a 3pc originally. The taper I got claims its a 7wt, but I reduced the numbers slightly. You can give me your opinion at the School, really looking forward to that!
Its just around the corner...casting with my friends, hendricksons, SPRING!!!!

CJ
That's interesting. I had a Thramer copy of a Dickerson 801510 that I ultimately traded back to AJ because IMO it was too "weak" as a 4-weight. Hard to imagine just a "tetch" up on the ferrule size could make that much difference.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich