No tying!

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
wiFlyFisher

No tying!

Post by wiFlyFisher » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 pm

I am not tying for 2-3 days... I just got my copy of "Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies" today. The book looks so awesome, I am going to take a break for few nights and read instead.
Last edited by wiFlyFisher on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous

Re: No tying!

Post by Eperous » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:47 am

Enjoy --- it's a great book, just wish it were longer in material and with more text/photos between the covers... ;)

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 am

Eperous wrote:Enjoy --- it's a great book, just wish it were longer in material and with more text/photos between the covers... ;)
There's always Vol II.

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:09 pm

The book is wonderful and I am learning a lot about the history of the area and great Catskill tiers! Plus, the photos are tremendous.

Now for a question...

What made Wood Duck Flank feathers so popular for wing material back then? The newer patterns today rarely call for wood duck flank feathers for wings and many of the actually insects (for example: E. subvaria) have gray dun colored wings. Yet, it seems all the famous Catskill tiers used Wood Duck Flank feathers on many of their dry fly dressing. Was it because it was so readily available back then?

Thanks!!

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:35 pm

We Know that Thad Norris, mid 1800's, used Woody---and we know the Brits like McClelland used it. ("Summer Duck" is what they called it). And we know Theo Gordon read Norris. Cross may have got on the band wagon... and Dettes/Darbee tore apart his flies, and saw all those woody patterns. Steenrod, a Gordon Protege, and Christian got it rolling, too. Jennings picked up on it, and Flick followed suit.

Kind of a weird feather to use, I'll admit.
Follow me on Twitter

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Whatsamatter John. Didn'tja believe me. :-)

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:54 pm

ewpeper wrote:Whatsamatter John. Didn'tja believe me. :-)

Eric
Hey, I just wanted to see what Mike would say. Besides his response to me was a little more detailed. :D

Don't worry, I am sure I will have more questions about how they tied dry flies by hand and without bobbins. I just have to read a little more first.

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Mike,

When the Darbees split from the Dettes and became competitors did they remain close friends?

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:45 pm

I sort of respected the situation, even as a kid--- and never really asked either party about their relationship/feelings---even as a teen either. I never went into that territory of discussion and didn't ask about it really. And left it at that.

When guys transported me over to the Darbees to visit--in kid years, while staying with Dettes--I never sensed any problem with it, from either party. Both couples gave us history and heritage and things to dream about. And that's what I always asked about---the old stories and times they lived on the river. There were some great remembrances--coming from both directions.

Follow me on Twitter

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:57 pm

mikevalla wrote:I sort of respected the situation, even as a kid--- and never really asked either party about their relationship/feelings---even as a teen either. I never went into that territory of discussion and didn't ask about it really. And left it at that.

When guys transported me over to the Darbees to visit--in kid years, while staying with Dettes--I never sensed any problem with it, from either party. Both couples gave us history and heritage and things to dream about. And that's what I always asked about---the old stories and times they lived on the river. There were some great remembrances--coming from both directions.

Mike, thank you. After reading about all the great tiers and some of them being so secretive it made we wonder when those two families split if there were any hard feelings.

At first, I was surprised the Delaware River wasn't mentioned as a Charmed River than i jumped ahead and learned why in a later chapter. (I actually should have remembered what Eric told me years ago when we were fishing out there. My memory ain't what it use to be.)

Was it Steenrod then who really developed the Hendrickson dry fly pattern?

Thank you!