Dorato Hare's Ear

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Eperous

Dorato Hare's Ear

Post by Eperous » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 pm

A recent response to a thread of mine on this board ignited me to do a bit of research on Bill Dorato, and tie a few of his famous – but maybe almost forgotten – Dorato Hare's Ear. Much of what is written below was obtained from two reliable, but unnamed sources.

Bill Dorato was born in the Albany, NY area and frequent fly fisher in the Catskills. He was founder of the Clearwater Chapter of Trout Unlimited in Albany, one of NYS' largest and most active TU chapters. His friends included the likes of Frank Mele (author of Small in the Eye of the River), noted angler/author Dick Talleur, Dud Soper, and an army of other ardent – and some well known fly fishers, like Lee Wulff. Bill passed away in 2000, and an article in the Nov. 15th, 2000 Albany Times Union speaks glowingly of a much loved, ardent conservationist. Somewhere, either on this board – or maybe Clark's – I vaguely recall a photo of Dud Soper and maybe Bill Dorato, or Sober and Flick. My memory isn't what it use to be, and I was handicapped in this department to begin with. I think that photo might have been posted by Mike Valla or Eric Peper – ring any bells fellows?

So inspired by this little bit of research, I tied a few Dorato Hare's Ears for the first time ever based upon Talleur's Trout Flies for the 21st Century, page 20. The recipe follows,

Thread: Brown or camel
Tail: Mix of brown and grizzly hackle
Body: Gray-brown hare’s ear dubbing
Wing: Lemon wood duck
Hackle: Mix of brown and grizzly

Dorato Hare's Ear, #16 Mustad 94840 - poor lightning:

Here's a better image, of a different fly - #16 Mustad 94840 - taken yesterday, but showing a stray wood duck barble. Man, those macro-lens magnify every mistake - :oops:

Talleur reports that Dorato intended this pattern for newly hatched caddis. One of my sources – his picture is in that book, Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies, page 202, tells me that he ties/fishes this pattern in sizes 16-20 with success for tough caddis feeding trout, only the tail on his pattern has two splayed grizzly hackle tips. That's all I'm saying as I probably just ruined another fly fishing friendship by ignoring that WWII Navy motto my uncle/Godfather taught me a long time ago, "Loose lips, sink ships".

Ed

zazzer

Re: Dorato Hare's Ear

Post by zazzer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:25 pm

I’m familiar with that pattern. It works well on the Delaware. I got some samples from some guides and it doesn’t look quite like that. the pattern is the same just well,,
Not meaning to sink any ships I’ll shut up.
Funny thing I’ve never seen it for sale in any shops. and it's a great fly I always have some.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 am

zazzer wrote:I’m familiar with that pattern. It works well on the Delaware. ...
Shhhh!!! Page 202 of Mike Valla's book - works well on the Delaware, 'nough said... :P

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:23 am

zazzer wrote: Funny thing I’ve never seen it for sale in any shops.
How many patterns can you say that about! Thats why this site is rockin, all the stuff you dont find at fly shops can be viewed here :D Nice tye Ed :D CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:11 am

Great thread .Speaking of Dud Soper any body remember his parachute patterns.Dud what size fly ya using.Reply; dime,half dime,nickel.

Tom ;)

Jim Slattery

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:29 am

Dorato Hare's Ear. Love that fly. Back in the day we just called it "The Dorato". We tied it in Cream and Olive too. What a fish taker. I found the fly in Uncle Dickey's beginners guide to Fly Fishing. Talluer recommended a buggy body and tail fibers clipped just past the hook bend. Also to clip the hackle on the bottom about even with the hook. Also suggested is to give it "twitches" when fishing. It also will work on the swing.
This fly is one of all time favorite flies but I don't fish it that much any more. Many , many fond memories of fishing while using this fly, like one evening on the upper Beaverkill above the covered bridge when I was 16..........
Thanks for posting this thread.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 am

upstatetrout wrote:Great thread...
:oops:

Tom, you inspired the research - which folks are sending me more yet... thanks... ;)

Ed

Jim Slattery

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Speaking of the Dorato, what about the Vermont Caddis originated by George Schlotter? Very similar flies.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Jim Slattery wrote:Speaking of the Dorato, what about the Vermont Caddis originated by George Schlotter? Very similar flies.
That's the one I was trying to think of when I saw this thread. I was reminiscing over some notes from fishing in 1974 the other night, and there were several entries that mentioned the Vermont Caddis. I can't even remember what it looked like, but my recollection is that it didn't have wings.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

jwsnma

Post by jwsnma » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:51 pm

In the Hatch Guide for New England Stream the VT caddis is shown with no tail, hare's ear body and grizzly and Brown hackle mixed. Alternate colors for the body also