Dorato Hare's Ear

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
mikevalla

Re: Dorato Hare's Ear

Post by mikevalla »

I was thinking about Bill's Pattern, the Dorato Hare's ear. In case you're looking for it's appearance....

This one was tied by Bill Dorato, in 1990.

Follow me on Twitter

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Thanks Mike... ;) I think it's a great pattern, for very tough fish, under the right circumstances... a couple/few weeks ago I left one in a very nice West Branch Delaware River brown that gobbled it up on my first - after many other tries - drift over it... :oops:

Ed

Troutfever

Post by Troutfever »

hey guys just stumbled across this pattern looks like it will work well in alot of situtation so i tied one up
Attachments
dhe 003.JPG
dhe 003.JPG (202.8 KiB) Viewed 2789 times

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Thats a winner for sure! Beautiful job on it man! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

catman53

Post by catman53 »

yessss. the hares ear. first tied it at george and rich`s shop on their urging. hands down gotta have pattern, especially with a bead head of various weights. john brockway and i used for years and was nearly always successful with it. another pattern on which many 5 pounders fell for on the battenkill was the grizzly-hackled wet [ memory fails me for the name]. sized from 6-12-14. usually tied with soft hackles i believe, but very effective with stiff ones if tied undersized. the first rod i ever built was a very early loomis blank and very soft action. rich took me under wing with it one day and from then on is was a favorite for wet patterns. for dries there was but one rod choice-first year edition orvis far n fine. yes, and a river does run thru it still.

squish67

Post by squish67 »

That was either the Breadcrust or maybe a McIntyre. The Breadcrust is orange with clipped brown hackle for a rib and a grizzly hen hackle (as we tied it in the shop). Thje McIntyre, green with an orange embroidery thread rib and grouse hackle.

Miss seeing John around. He was a good and dedicated fisherman, among other things.

Rich

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don »

Sorry for bumping up this old thread but I find this very interesting. So many dressing for single named pattern.

In The Book of Fly Patterns Eric Leiser lists the pattern for Dorato Hares Ear as:

hook - 94840 (10-14)
thread - brown
wing - lemon wood duck flank as a single clump
tail - grizzly hackle fibers (1/2 the length of hook shank )
body - hares ear fibers (body should have a scraggly appearance even though tapered)
hackle - light to dark ginger and grizzly mixed and trimmed top and bottom

I tied and fished this pattern as per this recipe quite a bit when Eric's book first came out. Appealed to me for a couple of reasons. The clipped hackle allowed me to get some use out of my crappier necks and the single clump wing saved precious wood duck flank. And the damned things worked.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Mr. Don wrote:Sorry for bumping up this old thread but I find this very interesting. So many dressing for single named pattern.

In The Book of Fly Patterns Eric Leiser lists the pattern for Dorato Hares Ear as:

hook - 94840 (10-14)
thread - brown
wing - lemon wood duck flank as a single clump
tail - grizzly hackle fibers (1/2 the length of hook shank )
body - hares ear fibers (body should have a scraggly appearance even though tapered)
hackle - light to dark ginger and grizzly mixed and trimmed top and bottom

I tied and fished this pattern as per this recipe quite a bit when Eric's book first came out. Appealed to me for a couple of reasons. The clipped hackle allowed me to get some use out of my crappier necks and the single clump wing saved precious wood duck flank. And the damned things worked.
Mr. Don... Eric Leiser's book, The Book of Fly Patterns, is one of my "bibles" for established fly patterns... having said that, the pattern you describe above is very close to the original DHE's... I'm not sure where the "trimmed top and bottom" of the hackle came from?

Not to re-plow old turf but when I wrote an article on the DHE for the Guild, I contacted several personal friends of Bill Dorato who knew and fished with him... one gave me a DHE Dorato tied, the others call confirmed the pattern... Bill Dorato was a very close friend of the late Dick Talleur, they fished quite a bit together and for a time lived in close proximity of each other near Albany, NY... several of Talleur's books mention Dorato and others from that era like: Dud Soper of parachute dry-fly fame, Frank Mele, and Art Flick... all buds of the late Dorato...

Anyway Talleur's book, Trout Flies for the 21st Century, is probably "the" best source of the DHE pattern... page 20 lists three patterns--- the "basic", plus two variations that as best I can tell were brainchilds of Talleur and not Bill Dorato...

This is a great fly, only I fish it in sizes 16 to 20, mostly 18's...

Ed

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don »

I always figured Mr. Leiser was fairly accurate in his dressing. I too wonder where the clipped top and bottom came from? Oh well. I guess in the grand scheme of things it makes very little difference. As soon as I finish up the Smokejumpers I'm tying right now I need to put some Doratos back in my box. Cut hackle and no cut hackle. ;)

Great thread. You guys know your history.

thanks

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

In Dick Talleur's " Mastering the Art Of Fly Tying" he does a tutorial on the Hares Ear dry (Dorato). He briefly mentions clipping or squaring off the bottom hackle so as to aid in skittering the fly although he says that this is an option and some prefer to leave the hackle as wrapped. He also mentions the option as to whether to wing the fly or not. The fly was intended to suggest a caddis. The upright wood duck flank was intended to represent the fluttering wing of the fly. The tail which the caddis does not have was to support the rear of the fly.

Regards, Jerry