Esopus end of October

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Slate_Drake_9

Esopus end of October

Post by Slate_Drake_9 »

I believe I'm going to have a chance to fish the Esopus the end of October and first few days of November. I've only fished it in May, but really enjoyed it. The trout I got into were all manageable on my Orvis Nymph and 7/3...in other words, they weren't very big, probably nothing over 12/13 inches. After some reading, it appears that I may need to leave the lighter tackle at home due to the probability of running into larger browns that come out of the lake. I'm concerned that some of the info I've come across is designed to drum up business and exaggerating the size and realities of the trout in the stream this time of year, but if it isn't an exaggeration, I want to be prepared.

I'm figuring on drifting nymphs and throwing streamers if I cannot get any attention on the nymphs. I'm not expecting to see any surface activity. So...

Is it a good idea to leave the light line rods at home and bring 5-7 weights only?

How common is it really to run into the big boys this time of year that would require me to fish the heavier rods? I realize a large trout is almost always a possibility on most quality streams, but typically I don't plan for them and don't target them. I don't really intend to target them on this trip either, but if they are more of the norm than the fun footlongs I enjoyed in the spring, I want to be prepared.

Thanks!
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Eperous

Re: Esopus end of October

Post by Eperous »

Slate... I haven't fished the Esopus in a week now, but plan to wander it today... having said that, I can provide my impressions/experiences based upon prior years...

Typically, come October/November I fish the Esopus with an 8 foot 6 weight rod capable to tossing streamers, nymphs, dry flies, and maybe even wets... starting late season, usually by October, some larger reservoir brown trout run up, out of the Ashokan to spawn... a few big rainbows may follow... I tend to fish streamers for bigger browns, and have caught a few already this fall... however, it is a very rare, very rare event to catch a bow on a streamer, though bows will eat Woolly Buggers... nymphs will catch both bows & browns...

The Esopus has a good late season BWO hatch that brings small to decent size browns & bows to the surface... the hatch normally happens every day, late afternoon, but not everywhere on the river, and not always the same place day-to-day... typically it's short lived, an hour or two... sometimes I can catch trout on a #18 DHE's but sometimes I have to fish 7X tippet and #24 cdc olives... it is fun knowing that each trout caught might be the "last dry-fly" trout of the year...

Having said all that, I think it's hard to think of the Esopus as a "typical" destination river... flows and conditions are so dependent on Shandaken Tunnel (Portal) diversions and rain storms... some days the river is very fishable, other days it can be a muddy mess... it's a Catskill river that one can learn to love to hate, and hate to love... but as the late Ernie Schwiebert wrote, "...The river is a mixture of enigmatic moods. Failure is common on the Esopus, with its uncertainties of temperature and clarity, but its generous days are superb." --- Remembrances of Rivers Past...

I could go on and on, but...

Good luck...

Ed

Slate_Drake_9

Re: Esopus end of October

Post by Slate_Drake_9 »

Thanks. Greatly appreciated.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.