Silk line dressing

Any and everything bamboo...
narcodog

Silk line dressing

Post by narcodog »

Have any of you ever used deer fat as a dressing for your fly lines. I was reading about it and was just curious.

catskilljohn

Re: Silk line dressing

Post by catskilljohn »

I read about that somewhere also, but I am in no rush to utilize animal fat for line dressing, or gluing rods together :lol:

I know you love the old ways narco, but that is taking it to the extreme. Imagine what your hands would feel like after fishing that line for a while :shock: Imagine also what the cork grip would look like too. No thanks, in this case, I will embrace the modern wonder, Mucilin! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Ok, here is something I have never heard any one talk about. Hewitt had his on special line dressing that he sold for $.30. Anyone seen it?

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

could use bee wax as an old way:lol: unless you learned what navtive Indains use for insulated themselves.which is bear fat.. try stand to one.. ewwwww stinks.... :shock:

scott.bearden

Post by scott.bearden »

Red tin Mucilin is or at one time was reportedly deer fat. And it has probably been the longest used line dressing and fly floatant used. Probably one of the first. Just a thought...

Bamboozle

Post by Bamboozle »

narcodog wrote:Ok, here is something I have never heard any one talk about. Hewitt had his on special line dressing that he sold for $.30. Anyone seen it?
I got a tin!

I can't tell you what it is made of but I can tell you I didn't pay $.30 for it. ;)

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Hmm, I bet you didn't.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Wow Bam, thats something special! Anything that had anything to do with Hewitt to me is gold, great find where ever you got it...and wgatever you paid for it, probably still a steal. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Bamboozle

Post by Bamboozle »

John:

Believe it or not, I've had that tin of Hewitt Line Grease for well over 20 years. Back when I didn't have a pot to pi$$ in and was struggling just to pay my rent in Yorkville, I was a member of TGF. :shock: I went to meetings and drank since I couldn't tell stories about fishing in Patagonia or Iceland and nobody was interested in my exploits on the Ramapo. I bought that at one of their auctions, if I recall for $40. It was probably the only thing I could afford in those days.

Somehow I think the rich sports felt sorry for me and let me win the thing. ;)