Ora Smith

Anything fly tying...
nhflytyer

Ora Smith

Post by nhflytyer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm wondering if we have any board members who may have information on Ora Smith a fly tyer from Kenee NH. Some of you know I spend a lot of time instructing youth fly tyers and lately I've had a lot of success with this age group when I've dovetailed a tyers history in the instruction. Today's youth is programmed to get answers quickly many times by pressing a button. Often they are not programmed to spend the time needed to learn how to tie flies. Adding the tyers history has in some cases peaked the youths interest in tying flies and resulted in them taking a greater enthusiasm in learning how to tie. I'm preparing to work with a group this spring/summer in NH and I'm going to teach a few of Ora's patterns. There is very little out there about him as a tyer. I have the Art of Angling publication that has his flies and Dick Stewart's book on streamers that has a few of his patterns. Just thought I would reach out to see if anyone had met him or know something that might help when I work with these young tyers. Feel free to email me, I have a few leads I'm working on so if you can help please post what you know or contact me. Thanks

Scott Biron

ted patlen

Re: Ora Smith

Post by ted patlen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 pm

sign in on streamerlist.com

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:10 am

OK, get rid of WileyCed on this site also, Bill

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:15 pm

I don't know how this old Ora Smith thread came to light again--but it needs some pictures. The last two Lang's auctions had some Smith flies from his estate--'control' copies they seemed to be. Smith developed the famous Maynard's Marvel--among other great brook trout streamers.

bb

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Joseph
excellent, as per your usual........
Dana
“Time to go fishing”