Clouser Minnow

Eperous

Clouser Minnow

Post by Eperous »

Not a Catskill pattern by a longshot, but it still works well in these mountains... I finished tying my 2016 streamer & bucktail needs, and finished with some blue Clouser Minnows, also known as the Susquehanna Shinner...

I love this pattern and so do big stillwater browns and lakers...
Blue Clouser Minnow.JPG
Blue Clouser Minnow.JPG (385.66 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
Photo snapped, just prior to release...
22+ inch Clouser Minnow brown.JPG
22+ inch Clouser Minnow brown.JPG (628.71 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
Ed

Gene

Re: Clouser Minnow

Post by Gene »

Looks like it's 22" tall also, beautiful fish Ed.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

lovely a recent fish?

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote: a recent fish?
Thanks, and no... I only fished this Clouser Minnow once in 2015 as conditions in my special place did not present themselves favorably to me... having said that, a late autumn 2014 brown--- that I'm still washing scales off my hands from having touched it.... :roll: :P :lol:

PS --- tied the fly Sunday, which sparked fond memories... ;)

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

Side note but revelant to original designs. Bob clouser has a precise way of tying his deep minnow. It's all about sink rate; the size and positioning of the lead eyed; and how the fly moves; the mount of flash and and length of materials used. He is doing a presentation at the Marlboro show next week

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote:Side note but revelant to original designs. Bob clouser has a precise way of tying his deep minnow. It's all about sink rate; the size and positioning of the lead eyed; and how the fly moves; the mount of flash and and length of materials used. He is doing a presentation at the Marlboro show next week
Based upon my first photo at the beginning of this thread, you might realize I have Bob Clouser's book, Clouser's Flies... I picked up a copy in '06 and Bob personalized it for me in '11 at The Fly Fishing Show in Somerset...

I first met Bob at Somerset in '03... interested in his Clouser Minnow patterns, I talked to him quite a bit at the show... he was very gracious and spent time with me... I purchased some tying "stuff" and three flies he tied... I later had these mounted in a shadow box, pictured below...
Clouser's.JPG
Clouser's.JPG (300.27 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
The middle fly is his Foxee Redd Minnow, which though I rarely fish strictly for smallmouth bass, has served me well when I have... the right fly is his blue, or Susquehanna Shiner... I told Bob that I wanted a deep running pattern to imitate sawbellies, or alewifes, in NYC water supply reservoirs, where I occasionally chuck a long-fly... he recommended that pattern, which I used as a model to tie my own... this has become a favorite, highly effective pattern for me... the fly on the left is a simple chartreuse Clouser, a color that I think is highly effective for many different fish species, but never replicated myself...

That's my Clouser Minnow story, I'm sticking with it...

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

ed...i wasn't questioning you or the fly i just wanted to add this to the discussion. i've seen Bob get "upset" when viewing some flies at various shows that were labeled "clouser minnows" .

sorry if i got under your skin

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote:ed...i wasn't questioning you or the fly i just wanted to add this to the discussion. i've seen Bob get "upset" when viewing some flies at various shows that were labeled "clouser minnows" .

sorry if i got under your skin
Yo Ted... you didn't get under my skin at all... I was just trying to "enhance" my feelings towards the pattern, with some background while showing off a few Clouser Minnows that Bob Clouser tied... :D

By the way, I don't use the same model hooks Clouser does, nor tie these exactly the same as he does, though I follow his step-by-step set of instructions on pages 34 through 39 of his book, from Chapter 3--- "The Original Clouser Deep Minnow". ;)

Ed

cebe

Post by cebe »

I really like the sparseness of your tie. I used to overdress them, and when I finally reduced the materials they actually fished better. I think they probably have a little more action than heavily dressed/overdressed.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

cebe wrote:I really like the sparseness of your tie. I used to overdress them, and when I finally reduced the materials they actually fished better. I think they probably have a little more action than heavily dressed/overdressed.
Thanks, and I agree with your assessment about sparseness/fishability, which I also think is true of bucktails in general... I think the sparseness allows the fly to "breathe" a bit as it pulsates through the water...

Ed