Beach guy to the Mts.

HookI

Beach guy to the Mts.

Post by HookI »

A good buddy is coming to town next week & would like to head to the Catskills ( trout C & R ) for a day w/ the fly rod . He is a beach guy & has to get the salty air out & some NY Mt. air in . I'll be trucking from Rockland county NY . & driving is no problem durning the mid week is the plan . Knowing water is very low I told him it will be a challenge . Any help will be appreciated & of course pm will be kept private . Thanks
If it has fins I want to catch it .

Eperous

Re: Beach guy to the Mts.

Post by Eperous »

Not many mountain choices, IMO :cry: ... check out the USGS realtime database for NYS streams... :geek: Catskill creeks/rivers where water temperatures are available are running 70+ to 78 degrees late afternoon for "tailwaters" like the East Branch Delaware, lower Neversink, and Esopus... :shock: tribs look like wet spots on rocks... :? it is late July, and NYS DEC issued a drought watch a couple weeks ago... :o just cause someone would like to fish the Catskills, it doesn't mean it's a good idea... :roll: your "beach guy" might do better in the ocean, like it or not... :| HOWEVER, come to the Catskills, check out the scenery, and visit a couple micro-breweries... ;)

OR, get here at day-break and pound fast-water pockets! :mrgreen:

Good luck!

Ed

HookI

Post by HookI »

Thanks for the speedy reply , in Rockland county were are in an alert w/ watering twice a week & no outside watering activity . I'll check out that site & look for the tail waters of the Neversink . We both fish over 120 days a year so catching is always a bonus for us & living in the town of Friendly People we have a dozen Irish pubs to keep the throat moist during these hot summer days. Getting to the Catskills is a treat . We are going somewhere Ed Thanks again

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

If you are up to a ride, try the Saranac or the West Branch of the Ausable. Or, the brook trout ponds up there. Beautiful country too. Fish early or the last hour or two before dark. Ants and beetles always good this time of year. Or fish the fast tumbling water with nymphs. Stop in at any of the fly shops up there to get the latest dope on fly hatches and water temps. When I was younger I'd wade wet with sneakers on and find the cooler spots. Since ithere is a lot of granite up there not a lot of changes in the river over the years although during the big flood a few years ago some sand bars built up in the few slower water sections. Now I'm getting to the point where at times I could use a wading staff in each hand. :)

HookI

Post by HookI »

...4 1/2 hrs dive one way for a day trip just a little bit out of my way , thanks for the reply BUT I'll hold that info

Gene

Post by Gene »

Just spent 3 days fishing the tailwaters, no bugs and fewer fish. Left a day early, went and got a haircut instead. Wish you luck, maybe the upper Neversink?

Gene

HookI

Post by HookI »

Thanks Gene I will give it some thought . See what happens .Like most , We both have families & trying to squeeze this in somehow

Hey all you guys are great here . In the future hope I can give back too .

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Still worth the trip to the Catskills if all you do is visit the museum and Joe at Dette's fly shop. Fish for a bit late in the day, then have a nice meal in Roscoe before heading home.

HookI

Post by HookI »

^^^ That can be done also thanks for the reply

greyfox

Post by greyfox »

There should be tricos on the east branch.
"There's mosquitoes on the river Fish are rising up like birds"
Grateful Dead