Adams

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Niklas Dahlin

Adams

Post by Niklas Dahlin »

Evening..
Made some Adams flies to bring to this weekends fair up north in Sundsvall..

Flyfishing is more than just catching fish.
http://www.mulhonken.blogspot.com

mikevalla

Re: Adams

Post by mikevalla »

Nice, Nik!

So, Nik, are you trying to convince all your mates over there that the Catskill Flies are what they should be tying? :P

Have they heard of the Catskill flies?
Follow me on Twitter

Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin »

mikevalla wrote:Nice, Nik!

So, Nik, are you trying to convince all your mates over there that the Catskill Flies are what they should be tying? :P

Have they heard of the Catskill flies?
I think me, Janne "the Viking" and some other guys has made Catskill flies quite popular to tie and talk about... Your book has been with me on a couple of events by now :D so the word are and will continue to be spread..

Later
Nik
Flyfishing is more than just catching fish.
http://www.mulhonken.blogspot.com

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

Rather than starting a new topic, I'll just continue with an existing one that matches the story.

Tied a Catskill style Adams yesterday evening after dinner.
I used a vintage Mustad 94842 size 12 hook. The hook shank is maybe slightly on the shorter side compared to the Mustad 94840 but I really like the up eye of the 94842.
Hackle tips from a vintage Harry Darbee grizzly hen set for the wings, Hebert Miner Cree cape, Veevus 16/0 gray thread and (vintage) Upstream medium gray superfine dubbing.

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

Here's a slightly slimmer tied, more in a Catskill tradition slimness, Adams (size 12). This time with muskrat dubbing body

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Sweet!

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

squish67 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:56 pm
Sweet!
As Squish noted... SWEET! ;)

I've been tying my Adams on size 14 to 18 hooks, using mallard flank feathers, as once suggested to me by Eric Peper, instead of grizzly hackle tips... and these seem to work out just fine for me, but not as pretty as your dry flies... :|

Ed

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

Thanks gents! :)

Ed, have you tried using teal feathers for smaller size Adams? The prominent black and white barring might be a good alternative to grizzly hackle tips?

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

You're right, Jay. I'd have used teal flank had I had some in the kit.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ibookje wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:36 am
... Ed, have you tried using teal feathers for smaller size Adams? The prominent black and white barring might be a good alternative to grizzly hackle tips? ...
Yes it's TEAL, not MALLARD... to quick to type a response and too slow on the brain function involved.... :o :oops: :cry: