Darbee Two-feather Fly

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
catskilljohn

Darbee Two-feather Fly

Post by catskilljohn » Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 pm

"I had been experimenting with an ultralight dressing to imitate our larger mayfly hatches, the big drakes, the Isonychia, the March Brown. One night while doubling a hackle for a salmon fly, it occured to me that perhaps a prepared hackle held the key to what I was looking for"... Harry Darbee

Ted mentioned this fly in his post about the DeBruce club trip he took recently, and I though I would try tying this fly. Harry thought this pattern up on a request by Terrell Moore, a then ledgendary fisherman on the Beaverkill. Terrell was looking for a sparser dressing that didn't have the splash of typical large dry flies, and Harry answered with this. Nothing more than a hook, 2 feathers and thread, this fly is perfect for slow water where a delicate presentation is a must.

Tyed on a #16 light wire short shank Mustad 79589, I could see where this fly would land like a "feather" and it has a nice mayfly profile too. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Bamboo&Brookies

Re: Darbee Two-feather Fly

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Wed May 12, 2010 10:03 am

That's a beauty, CJ.

When I read about that fly awhile back I wanted to see one... thanks for tying it.

It might just be the simplest dry fly out there, as far as materials. And just about as light and 'ethereal' as a real mayfly.

I wonder how it would stand up to fishing?

Thanks for posting!

Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Wed May 12, 2010 10:18 am

two feather vise.jpg
two feather vise.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
2 feather-book.jpg
2 feather-book.jpg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 5168 times

cj beat me to it....this fly is a model of efficiency ....easy to tie, floats like a cork, even if the hackle gets screwed up...

the bottom hackles can be cut if the fly gets some refusals...

one thing i like about it....when fishing it on a flat pool with nothing rising this fly (like a variant) will get fish to react. it is easy to twitch and skitter , another thing, how many of these flies do you think the trout see, even in roscoe? ...obviously it doesn't work ALL the time but more than a few times to warrant this as a good fishing fly....

another thing, an extremely large mayfly can be tied onto a very small hook

the people who wanna tie it for the first time...much care should be taken to find a good feather for the body/tail/wing feather....
two feather feathers.jpg
two feather feathers.jpg (92.99 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
the feather on the left has fibers that are pretty even in legnth, not a hard taper from the tip to the base AND the fibers are very even ...balanced is a better word as compared to the feather on the right ....the feather on the right would make an unbalanced wing ...look at the flues sticking out from the left side of the shaft...these are longer than the flues on it's other-side .
these unbalanced feathers can be used for the this fly but the even feathers are much easier to use....

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed May 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Nice job gents... ;) :D

I often thought of tying one of these myself after reading Darbee's book, but question how many fish it might stand-up to before falling apart, or not being usable... :?:

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Wed May 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Very nice flies. However in later years they tied them as Parachutes. I have one somewhere and Judy showed me about 25 of them and most were parachutes with teal used as the body wing feather >they were quite striking.
Today while looking through a dear friends stuff I found a very rare long tailed March brown Nymph I believe it was mentioned in their book.

Tom

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 am

tom,
i do make a couple parachutes for fishing. because of the various lengths of the fibers that form the wings a single clump usually is fuller and looks better.

years ago i tied some upside down so nothing sat below the surface of the water but didn't see any significant difference with rising fish....

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Sat May 15, 2010 8:17 am

A derivation using Darbee's Two feather fly method as tied by Poul Jorgensen.The Crane Fly

Tom

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sat May 15, 2010 8:45 am

Very nice Tom, you got lots of cool stuff...like that vise ;) CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Vance

Post by Vance » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Hey every body. What’s happening to SGM with this garbage about dating sites. Is there anyone around to get rid of that crap. I just enjoy reading about fishing and other things about fishing not that crap about dating sites. Bill the mailman

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:04 am

Agree, Bill--

Emailed both Dan and Joe and asked them to clean things up--no response.

This is embarrassing because it makes us look pretty bad--somebody please call Joe?--I don't have his number--if he can't maintain the site, he should close it down to registrations and let us use it--or at the least shut it down as a read-only archive resource.

bb